Lyons Corner House, Tottenham Court Road.
Lyons Corner Houses, which appeared in 1909 and remained until 1977, were noted for their art deco style. Situated on or near the corner of Coventry Street, the Strand and Tottenham Court Road, they were large buildings on four or five floors, the ground floor of which was a food hall with counters for delicatessen, sweets and chocolates, cakes, fruit, flowers and more.
On the other floors were several restaurants, each with a different theme and all with their own musicians. For a time the Corner Houses were open 24 hours a day, and in their heyday each one employed in the region of 400 staff. They were colourful and bustling, with bright lights and ingenious window displays.