Full image caption
The George Inn, Southwark. This former coaching house was built in the 17th century on the site of an inn which existed in 1542 and probably a public house which was even earlier. It was built after a fire destroyed large parts of Southwark and is the last remaining galleried public house in London. It is mentioned in Charles Dicken's novel 'Little Dorrit'. Originally the building surrounded three sides of the courtyard however the central and northern wings were demolished for the building of the Great Northern Railway in 1899. The building now belongs to the National Trust.
1955 AD - 1955 AD
© Henry Grant Collection/Museum of London