Full image caption
Boats in Boulter's Lock, near Maidenhead. A lock has existed here since 1777 and a mill since the 14th century. The lock was originally called 'Ray Mill Lock' after the mill and the name Boulter, which means miller, comes from the renaming of the mill to Boulter's Inn in 1950. The lock is near to Royal Ascot and Cliveden House and was very popular during the Victorian period for walking and visiting to watch the boats.
1949 AD - 1949 AD
© Henry Grant Collection/Museum of London