Full image caption
Playing with sand at the Clydesdale adventure Playground. The site opened in Camberwell as ‘an experimental junk play area’ in 1952 and was the second playground of its type to open in London. It was created by Ruth Littlewood and Lady Allen and was designed to cater for 5 – 10 year olds however it was also popular with teenagers and very quickly there were a variety of activities available to accommodate everyone who wanted to play. A variety of waste material such as bricks, tyres, rope, wood, sand and corrugated iron were left out for children to use to create dens, slides, climbing frames, furniture and anything that they could imagine.
1954 AD - 1954 AD
© Henry Grant Collection/Museum of London