Coronavirus (COVID-19) While museums are closed, the Museum of London prints site is fully operational and we have added an FAQ page here.

Hall Place: 2009

Hall Place: 2009
3 0 c m
actual image size: 32cm x 21cm

Full image caption

Hall Place is a former stately home, today a Grade 1 listed building and Scheduled Ancient Monument, beside the River Cray on the outskirts of Crayford, west of Bexleyheath and north-east of Old Bexley.
The house dates back to around 1540 when wealthy merchant Sir John Champneys, Lord Mayor of the City of London in 1534, used stone recycled from a nearby former monastery, Lesnes Abbey, to build himself a country house on a site where a manor house was recorded some 300 years earlier in 1241.
Alterations to Champneys' house were made in 1560. In 1649, the house was sold to another wealthy City merchant, Sir Robert Austen (1587–1666), who added a second wing built of red bricks, doubling the size of the house but without trying to harmonise the two halves built in highly contrasting architectural styles.
Although the Municipal Borough of Bexley took ownership of the Hall Place house and grounds in 1935, Lady Limerick remained a tenant until her death in 1943, making alterations and beginning the house’s topiary garden of traditional heraldic figures and the Queen's Beasts.
The building still houses a museum of local artefacts, and a history and tourist information centre.

Image Details

2009 AD - 2009 AD
Image Number

© Museum of London

buy a print

Select print type
Select size
How many prints?

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas