Full image caption
An Indian film advertised outside a Southall cinema. The Liberty Cinema on South Road, Southall, showed only Indian films from 1972. This provided the local population, many of whom had roots in the Indian sub-continent, with non-English language cinema. The site had been a cinema since 1912 under various names. Liberty had taken over from the Godina. Audience numbers fell and in 1981 the cinema became a market place. Though it fell into disrepair, the architecture was granted a Grade II listing.
1973 AD - 1973 AD
© Henry Grant Collection/Museum of London