Full image caption
Fribourg and Treyer snuff shop at 34 Haymarket. A snuff, tobacco and cigar shop was established here in 1790 by Mr Fribourg. By 1820 the shop was owned by Mr Treyer who had bought the business after Mr Fribourg retired. He kept the original name of the shop and added his own. The shop was located near to a number of well known Gentlemen's clubs which ensured that there were frequent customers. The business was bought by Imperial Tobacco however the high price of rent meant that the shop was closed in 1981. It reopened for a short time in Regents Street. The building is listed and now houses a gift shop.
© Henry Grant Collection/Museum of London