Full image caption
Kenwood House is a large stately home situated in Hampstead. The original house dates from approximately 1616 when it was built by John Bill, the King's printer. In 1754 it was purchased by William Murray who commissioned Robert Adam to remodel it and it was then extended again in 1793 by George Saunders. The house was opened to the public in 1925 when it was owned by Edward Cecil Guinness who bequeathed it to the nation on his death in 1927. After it was taken over by the National Trust it became a popular venue for open air concerts.
© Henry Grant Collection/Museum of London