Full image caption
Pedestrians crossing the road in Piccadilly Circus, passing the statue of Eros, in September 1957. The illuminated billboards on the buildings on the north east side of the circus have become just as famous as the status in the centre. Shopkeepers received large rents from letting the facades of their buildings and the London Country Council were powerless to stop them. Billboard were not erected on the other sides of the circus because the leases granted in the 1820s when John Nash designed the buildings strictly prohibited all signage.
1957 AD - 1957 AD
© Henry Grant Collection/Museum of London