London Bridge; c.1950
© Henry Grant Collection/Museum of London
Full image caption
London Bridge in the Autumn, mid 1950s. This bridge which was situated 30m west of the original London Bridge was designed by engineer John Rennie and built in the 1820s to replace an earlier 17th century bridge. It was officially opened on 1st August by William IV and Queen Adelaide and was 928 feet in length and 49 feet wide. In the 1920s it was discovered that the bridge's foundations were unstable and the east side of the bridge was lower than the west side. In 1962 the bridge was sold to fund the building of a new bridge. It was purchased by an American entrepreneur and was painstakingly reassembled in Lake Havasu City, Arizona to span the Bridgewater Channel canal.
1950 AD - 1960 AD