Gateway to St Bartholomew the Great Church; c.1955
© Henry Grant Collection/Museum of London
Full image caption
The gateway into the church of St Bartholomew the Great in Smithfield. This is the oldest parish church in London and is accessed by this doorway built in 1595 by Philip Scudamore as the West entrance to the Southern aisle. The house above the gateway had been covered in tiles but a First World War zeppelin raid in 1916, and then a fire in 1917 in the adjoining warehouse of Evans & Sons, Lescher & Webb, caused tiles covering the facade to dislodge and the timber frames were revealed.
1955 AD - 1955 AD