Full image caption
Bankside Power station under construction in 1952. There was much opposition to the which was building was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. The height of the chimney was limited to 200m so that it did not stand taller than the spire of St Paul’s cathedral. Construction was completed in two phases (the Western side can be seen completed in this photograph) and although it started producing energy in late 1952 the building was not completed until 1963. The power station closed in 1981 and the building has been home to the Tate Modern art gallery since 1995.
1952 AD - 1952 AD
© Henry Grant Collection/Museum of London