Flintlock pistol used by Bow Street Horse Patrol: c.1810
3 0 c m
actual image size: 32cm x 19cm

Flintlock pistol used by Bow Street Horse Patrol: c.1810

William Lacy

© Museum of London

Full image caption

Flintlock pistol used by Bow Street Horse Patrol.The Bow Street Court was established in 1740 by the magistrate Colonel Thomas de Veil, an officer in the Westminster militia. The 'Bow Street Runners' were a detective force operating out of Bow Street under de Veil's successor, the magistrate and author Henry Fielding.
This flintlock pistol was used by a member of the Bow Street Horse Patrol. The mounted patrol was formed in 1763 by Henry Fielding's brother John to increase security on London's roads where highwaymen threatened travellers. The patrol initially received government funding for only 18 months. It was revived in 1805 by Bow Street's Chief Magistrate Sir Richard Ford, and eventually became part of the Metropolitan Police in 1837.

The maker of this pistol, William Lacy, manufactured guns and swords and was a contractor to the Board of Ordnance at the Tower of London.




1805 AD - 1820 AD

Image Number


buy a print

Select print type
Select size
How many prints?

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas