A View of the London Docks; 1808
© PLA collection/Museum of London
Full image caption
A coloured aquatint print of the the five massive warehouses of the western dock which were designed by the Dock Company's surveyor, Daniel Asher Alexander. They line the quay at the centre of the image, to the right lies the Wapping Entrance Lock with the River Thames beyond. Left of the dock stands Hawksmoor's St George in the East. In the far distance, the West India Docks can be glimpsed on the Isle of Dogs, and beyond, the mast house of the East India Docks at Blackwall.
1808 AD - 1808 AD