St James’s Park taken near the stable yard; 1794
3 0 c m
actual image size: 32cm x 21cm

St James’s Park taken near the stable yard; 1794

Laurie & Whittle

© Museum of London

Full image caption

St James’s Park is in central London with Buckingham Palace to the west, St James’s Palace to the north, Horse Guards to the east and Birdcage Walk to the south. It was opened to the public by Charles II who organised its redesign following a more formal landscape design which he had admired in France. This included a long canal.
Although the Park was a notorious meeting place for prostitutes in the mid-eighteenth century, it was a popular place for promenading, as seen in the engraving. Here colourfully dressed figures are shown walking along the Mall with St James’s Palace on the left and Westminster Abbey shown in the distance on the right. Stags and fallow deer graze on the right in the Park and cows are recorded as also being present in the Park. The formal layout is shown by the regimented planning of trees shown receding in the distance.




1794 AD - 1794 AD

Image Number


buy a print

Select print type
Select size
How many prints?

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas