Full image caption
Double sided white enamel sign with black writing from the Bethnal Green public baths and laundry. On one side is written Public Baths Cheshire Street, on the other Public Laundry Abbey Street. The sign was placed at the entrance to the building. Public baths and laundries were located in one building but had separate entrances often, as in this case, in different streets. The Bethnal Green baths opened in 1900. It was commended at the time for providing space for prams 'in which the washers usually bring their linen. In most of the London baths this has been omitted, with the result that the waiting halls are often impassable.'
© Museum of London