Putney and the Thames from Putney Bridge; 1750
© Museum of London
Full image caption
This is the earliest painted view of Putney. Looking upriver from Putney Bridge, it shows the riverside village of Putney on the left with the fifteenth-century tower of St. Mary's parish church nearby. The first bridge connecting Putney and Fulham, of which only a fragment is seen here, was the wooden structure built in 1729. It was superseded by the present stone bridge which was built in 1882-6. The charge for crossing was a penny for foot passengers and up to two shillings for vehicles. At this date Putney was only a small village but it was already noted for the beauty of its villas, orchards and market gardens.
1750 n/a - 1750 n/a