Exterior view of the Liberty Cinema: 1973
© Henry Grant Collection/Museum of London
Full image caption
Exterior view of the Liberty Cinema. The Liberty Cinema on South Road, Southall, showed only Indian films from 1972. This provided the local population, many of whom had roots in the Indian sub-continent, with non-English language cinema. The site had been a cinema since 1912 under various names. Liberty had taken over from the Godina. Audience numbers fell and in 1981 the cinema became a market place. Though it fell into disrepair, the architecture was granted a Grade II listing.
1973 AD - 1973 AD