Full image caption
This pedestrian bridge between Hungerford Market, on the north bank of the Thames, and Lambeth, on the south, was designed and built by Isambard Kindom Brunel between 1840 and 1845. It was taken down in the early 1860s following the sale of the bridge and the market to the South Eastern Railway Company. A new railway bridge was built, though Brunel's brick piers were re-used, and a pedestrian footpath added on either side. The suspension chains from the old bridge were sold for £5,000 and used in the construction of Brunel's Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol.
© Museum of London