Full image caption
An illustration of Borough market from 'London: a Pilgrimage' by Blanchard Jerrold and Gustave Doré, 1872. The first formal mention of this fruit and vegetable market, which operated at the southern end of London Bridge, was in 1276 when its location moved to the High Street. The volume of traffic meant that the market again moved, in 1756, to an area of land known as Rochester Yard. The market building illustrated was designed by Henry Rose in 1851, with alterations and additions made in 1863-4. Jerrold describes it as 'a commodious structure ... choked with market carts and costers' barrows, and crowded with unclassable poor, who seem to linger about in the hope that something out of the mighty cupboard may fall to their share'.
© Museum of London