Full image caption
As illustration of a cricket match at Lord's, from 'London: a Pilgrimage' by Blanchard Jerrold and Gustave Doré, 1872. Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), otherwise known as Lord's, was founded in 1787 by Thomas Lord who had been asked to find an alternative (more private) ground to White Conduit Fields. Lord leased Dorset Fields in Marylebone and the first match was played there on 31st May 1787. In 1814 Lord's moved to its present site in St John's Wood.
© Museum of London