Full image caption
An illustration of the Royal Exchange, from 'London: a Pilgrimage' by Blanchard Jerrold and Gustave Doré, 1872. The Exchange was founded by Thomas Gresham in 1566-1570 as a meeting place where merchants could conduct business. The building illustrated is the third, and current, Exchange building on the site, opened in 1844. Designed by Sir William Tite it has an imposing eight-column Corinthian portico supporting a pediment which features the figure of Commerce.
© Museum of London