The great warehouse St Katharine's docks: 1872

Gustave Doré

The great warehouse St Katharine's docks: 1872
3 0 c m
40cm
actual image size: 32cm x 14cm

Full image caption

An illustration of the interior of a warehouse at St Katharine's Dock, from ' London: a Pilgrimage' by Blanchard Jerrold and Gustave Doré, 1872. The St Katharine's Dock Company was formed in 1823 and the foundation stone laid in May 1827, the project engineer being Thomas Telford. The warehouses were built up to the edge of the quays so that there was no need for transit sheds. Consisting of six floors, the brick buildings were 470 feet long and 140 feet deep (143 x 43 metre).

Jerrold writes: 'The perspective of the great entrepot or warehouse before us is broken and lost in the whirl and movement. Bales, baskets, sacks, hogsheads, and waggons stretch as far as the eye can reach; and there is a deep murmur rising from the busy fellows within.' The major commodities handled by the Docks were wool and tea, but St Katharine's Dock also dealt in a whole range of luxury goods including shells (such as tortoiseshell and mother of pearl) and ostrich feathers.

Image Details

Artist/Photographer/Maker
 
Date
 
1872 AD - 1872 AD
Image Number
 
009871

© Museum of London

buy a print

Select print type
 
Select size
 
How many prints?
 
£25.00
 

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas