Full image caption
An illustration of Bishopsgate Street from 'London: a Pilgrimage' by Blanchard Jerrold and Gustave Doré, 1872. People can be seen gathered in the Sir Paul Pindar Stout House. The building had originally been built c. 1599 as a mansion for Sir Paul Pindar, a merchant and diplomat whose wealth in 1639 was estimated at £236,000. However he died in debt and by the 1780s the mansion had become a tavern. It was pulled down in 1890 and the carved oak front is now in the Victoria and Albert Museum.
© Museum of London