Full image caption
This photograph shows the enormous entrance lock gates of the Millwall Dock before it opened in 1868. The new dock was built on land to the south of the West India Dock with a single entrance into the Thames on the western side of the Isle of Dogs at Millwall, opposite the South Dock entrance of the Surrey Commercial Dock. Kelk and Aird were the contractors of the dock and Sir Robert Fowler and William Wilson the engineers.
1867 AD - 1867 AD
© PLA collection/Museum of London