A chimney piece, Court House, St Andrew's Church, Holborn: 1886

Henry Dixon

 
A chimney piece, Court House, St Andrew's Church, Holborn: 1886
4 0 c m
 
30cm
actual image size: 22cm x 29cm

Full image caption

A chimney piece, Court House, St Andrew's Church, Holborn, 1886. This photograph was commissioned by the Society for Photographing Relics of Old London to form part of a permanent visual record of historic buildings threatened with alteration or possible demolition in the 1870s and 80s. St. Andrew's Church was rebuilt by Wren in 1687 and the Court House added at the time of the construction of Holborn Viaduct in the late 1860s when the church became below street level. Alfred Marks of The Society for Photographing Relics of Old London noted that "the interior of the church.......has been ruined of late years by alterations in the worst possible taste". The negative of the photograph was retouched to exclude all traces of a protruding organ front

Image Details

Artist/Photographer/Maker
 
Date
 
1886 AD - 1886 AD
Image Number
 
009551

© Museum of London

buy a print

Select print type
 
Select size
 
How many prints?
 
£25.00
 

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas