Full image caption
A Chimney Piece, Sessions House, Clerkenwell, 1886. This photograph was commissioned by the Society for Photographing Relics of Old London to form part of a permanent visual record of historic buildings threatened with alteration or possible demolition in the 1870s and 80s. The Chimney Piece was a relic of Hick's Hall, a meeting place for Justices of the Peace built in 1612, and was transferred when the hall was replaced by the Sessions House on Clerkenwell Green in 1782. The Sessions House was acquired by the London County Council in 1899 and ceased being used for judicial purposes in 1911.
© Museum of London