Full image caption
Various small subjects, c.1885. This photograph was commissioned by the Society for Photographing Relics of Old London to form part of a permanent visual record of historic buildings threatened with alteration or possible demolition in the 1870s and 80s. The photograph is a composite image of surviving decorative features from various buildings. The 'Chained Bear' (top left) is built into a 19th century house in Lower Thames Street, the 'London Stone' (bottom left) is now part of the facade of a shop in Cannon Street, the 'Hour-glass' (centre) which was in St. Alban's Church, Wood Street, was destroyed by a World War 2 bomb, the 'Boy at Pie Corner' (top right) still stands at the corner of Giltspur Street and Cock Lane, though it is now gilded, and the 'Clock and Figures' are located at St. Dunstan's-in-the-West Church in Fleet Street.
© Museum of London