The Tennis Court, James Street, Haymarket: 1886
© Museum of London
Full image caption
The Tennis Court, James Street, Haymarket, 1886. This photograph was commissioned by the Society for Photographing Relics of Old London to form part of a permanent visual record of historic buildings threatened with alteration or possible demolition in the 1870s and 80s. The Tennis Court was built c.1634 and was a favourite haunt of King Charles 11. In 1800 it became the headquarters of tennis in England but was closed in 1866 and became a storehouse. It was demolished sometime after 1911.
1886 AD - 1886 AD