Full image caption
Old houses in The Strand, 1886. This photograph was commissioned by the Society for Photographing Relics of Old London to form part of a permanent visual record of historic buildings threatened with alteration or possible demolition in the 1870s and 80s. These timber houses, situated on the south side of the Strand opposite St. Mary-le-Strand Church, predated the Great Fire of London in 1666. Much of the Strand was rebuilt in the 19th century and these houses would have been demolished as part of the construction of East Strand, Aldwych and Kingsway in the 1890s.
© Museum of London