Full image caption
St Katharine's Dock was designed by Thomas Telford, the warehouses were built directly onto the quay side and had over 1 million square feet of storage capacity. St Katharine Docks opened in 1828 and handling valuable imports such as sugar, rum, tea, spices, wine and brandy. The docks were badly damaged during the bombing of the Second World War and this combined with the lack of capacity for larger ships meant that the Docks closed in 1968. By the 1970s many of the warehouses had been demolished and redeveloped. The Docks themselves became a Marina and the area now contains offices, private housing, a hotel, shops and restaurants.
© Henry Grant Collection/Museum of London