Full image caption
This banner was designed for the Chelsea branch of the Women's Social and Political Union (W.S.P.U) by Herman Ross. It was first unfurled at the Queen's Hall on 17 June 1908 in preparation for Women's Sunday on 21 June. The painted banner depicts two policemen guarding the entrance to Holloway prison, out of which a suffragette prisoner can be seen waving a banner with the slogan 'Votes for Women'. The base of the banner is decorated with the W.S.P.U's colours: purple, white and green. By 1911 the Chelsea branch of the union had opened a shop at 308 King's Road for the sale of suffragette merchandise. The shop's basement became a workshop for the design and production of campaign banners.
© Museum of London