Full image caption
Banqueting House, Whitehall, 1882. This photograph was commissioned by the Society for Photographing Relics of Old London to form part of a permanent visual record of historic buildings threatened with alteration or possible demolition in the 1870s and 80s. The Banqueting House was built 1619-22 to the designs of Inigo Jones. It is all that remains of the Palace of Whitehall and is now a Grade 1 listed building open to the public. It was refaced with Portland stone in the 19th century.
© Museum of London