Full image caption
Queen's Head Inn yard, Southwark, 1881. This photograph was commissioned by the Society for Photographing Relics of Old London to form part of a permanent visual record of historic buildings threatened with alteration or possible demolition in the 1870s and 80s. The coming of the railways in the mid-19th century led to the decline of many of the old coaching inns. Several in Southwark survived for a time but fell into disrepair and their yards became redundant. Unusually, the 'Queen's Head' continued in business until 1895 before becoming a railway depot.
© Museum of London