The Pantheon on Oxford Street: c.1800
© Museum of London
Full image caption
The Pantheon was erected in 1771 and its original use was for balls, 'routs' and masquerades. Converted to an opera house in 1791, it burnt down (and was rebuilt) a year later, when it reverted to its original uses until 1812, but its renewed life as a theatre was brief: it closed owing to licence trouble and a further fire in 1814 and became a bazaar in 1834.
1871 AD - 1834 AD