Full image caption
Old houses in Great Queen Street, Lincoln's Inn Fields, 1879. These were the remains of what was originally a much larger house, dating from 1637, which belonged to the Earl of St. Albans. Situated between Drury Lane and what is now Kingsway, Great Queen Street was in a run-down area which by the late 19th century was ripe for redevelopment. This photograph was commissioned by the Society for Photographing Relics of Old London to form part of a permanent visual record of historic buildings threatened with alteration or possible demolition in the 1870s and 80s. The area was eventually cleared by the London County Council in 1901 to make way for the Aldwych and Kingsway redevelopment.
© Museum of London