The Bow Road Open Air school ; c1950
© Henry Grant Collection/Museum of London
Full image caption
The Bow Road Open Air school was designed for children of ‘delicate health’. It was felt that the children’s health would be improved through exposure to sunlight, fresh air, a proper diet, rest, medical attention and a regime of physical exercise. The open air school movement originated in Berlin in the 1890s and was most popular in Britain during the 1920s. Many open air schools closed on the outbreak of the Second World War as did Bow Road. In 1951 the school was rebuilt and became Farquharson and McMorran’s Phoenix School.
1950 AD - 1950 AD