Full image caption
The newly-built Bankside Power Station viewed from the north bank of the Thames. An oil-fired power station designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, Bankside began generating electricity in 1952, but was not finally completed until 1963. It was decommissioned in 1981 and lay empty until it was acquired by the Tate Gallery in 1994. It reopened as the Tate Modern in 2000.
© Museum of London