Full image caption
The 'Sir Paul Pindar', Bishopsgate Street, City of London, 1878. This building had become a public house by the late 18th century, named after one of the City's wealthiest early 17th century merchants and King James 1's Ambassador to the Ottoman Empire. The building was under threat of demolition to make way for a new hospital and the photograph was commissioned by the Society for Photographing Relics of Old London to form part of a permanent visual record of historic buildings threatened with alteration or possible demolition in the 1870s and 80s. The 'Sir Paul Pindar' was eventually demolished in 1890, not for a hospital, but to make way for the expansion of Liverpool Street Station. A section of the woooden facade was saved and presented to the Victoria & Albert Museum by the Great Eastern Railway Company.
© Museum of London