Full image caption
Lincoln's Inn Gatehouse, 1876. Lincoln's Inn is one of the four Inns of Court to which barristers in England and Wales belong. The Gatehouse is the oldest existing part, having been built between 1518 and 1521. The Gatehouse had been restored in 1695 but by the 1870s its future was uncertain. This photograph was commissioned by the Society for Photographing Relics of Old London to form part of a permanent visual record of historic buildings threatened with alteration or possible demolition in the 1870s and 80s. Fortunately, the Gatehouse survived and was restored again in 1967-9.
© Museum of London