Full image caption
Old houses in Wych Street, 1876. This street near the Strand contained Elizabethan (17th century) houses which had survived the Great Fire of London in 1666. The street was eventually demolished by the London County Council in 1901 to make way for the Aldwych and Kingsway redevelopment. This photograph was commissioned by the Society for Photographing Relics of Old London to form part of a permanent visual record of historic buildings threatened with alteration or possible demolition in the 1870s and 80s.
© Museum of London