Full image caption
Cumberland Market. Charcoal drawing. Bold sketch of Cumberland Market, St Pancras, c. 1910. The market lies between Chester Terrace and adjoining the basin of Regent's Canal before this was filled. The market formed part of a complex of buildings, markets, shops and small houses, which serviced the grand terraces facing Regent's Park. In 1910 it was used for the sale of hay and straw. The stalls are covered in tarpaulins. An English painter and lithographer, Bevan was born in Hove and studied at London's Westminster School of Art and in Paris. Over several trips to Brittany in the early 1890s, Bevan worked with the Pont-Aven Group and developed an interest in lithography. During his second trip, he met and was influenced by Paul Gauguin.
© Museum of London