Full image caption
View of the top of a stone ceiling boss from Merton Priory. It is carved with a flower in the centre surrounded by leaves. There are traces of red and yellow paint. This ceiling boss originally came from Merton Priory, which was demolished in 1538 to provide building stone for Nonsuch Palace four miles away. Local carters from Wimbledon, Cheam, Merton, Tooting, Mitcham, Clapham, Sutton, Putney and Wandsworth were among those who were paid eight pence per ton to transport over 3,600 tons to the palace site. Thomas Fenner of Cuddington supplied the demolition team with wooden hand-barrows costing four pence each, and many labourers from London were impressed into service. The boss was found during excavations at Nonsuch Palace in 1959-60.
© Museum of London