Reverse of a lozenge-shaped seal: 15th-16th century
4 0 c m
 
30cm
actual image size: 21cm x 32cm

Reverse of a lozenge-shaped seal: 15th-16th century

Unknown

© Museum of London

Full image caption

Reverse of a lozenge-shaped seal with an inscription around the edge. In the centre on the right is the figure of Christ holding a spade. Kneeling before Him on the left is Mary Magdalene. Situated between the hamlets of Mile End and Stratford at Bow on the outskirts of the City, the hospital of St Mary Magdalene was one of five 'Lazar Houses' for leprosy patients in London. It had a chapel, houses for patients and a suite of rooms for the overseer. St. Bartholomew's Hospital took over the administration of the hospital in 1549, and all the leper patients who had previously been treated in the City were transferred to rural Mile End. Mary Magdalene is the patron saint of lepers
 

Artist/Photographer/Maker

 

Date

1460 AD - 1550 AD
 

Image Number

000486
 

buy a print

Select print type
 
Select size
 
How many prints?
 
£25.00
 

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas