Monumental brass with Latin inscription: 1475
© Museum of London
Full image caption
Rectangular brass plaque engraved on the right half with a chequered pattern and on the left with the heads of two lions. This monumental brass has a burial inscription in Latin of about 1475. The brass was subsequently re-used and is engraved with the coat of arms of Sir James Wilford (died 1550). On the other side, is a 'palimpsest', a new engraving on the reused brass. ( From the greek palin 'again' and psestos 'scraped'). It bears a Latin inscription in black letter which is extremely difficult to decipher.
1475 AD - 1475 AD