Long hexagonal paving tile: early-mid 16th century
© Museum of London
Full image caption
Long hexagonal paving tile, decorated in dark blue, ochre and green with a pair of flowers and scrolling arabesque style. There were regular shipments of 'white paving tiles' from the Low Countries into London by the end of the 15th century, and a single cargo in 1480 from the ship Mary Knyght of Middelburg included 2,000 ordinary paving tiles and 400 white paving tiles. The white, or tin-glazed earthenware tiles were especially prized and this octagonal tile with cobalt, ochre and copper oxide floral decoration was probably imported from Antwerp for a wealthy customer. Tiles of similar shape and design were commissioned by the Abbey of Herckenrode, Belgium in 1532.
1500 AD - 1550 AD