Full image caption
Part of a terracota moulding in redish-brown clay, with remains of white plaster over the surface. It is decorated with a leaf pattern along one side. This terracotta moulding was part of a frieze from the priory of St John's, Clerkenwell. The priory of the Order of St John of Jerusalem, one of the richest in the land, was adorned with moulded terracottas shortly before it was dissolved in 1540. The buildings were eventually blown-up during Edward VI's reign and some of the stone was used to build Somerset House in the Strand.
© Museum of London