Full image caption
Trainee firemen at the Middlesex Fire Service Training School. The Middlesex Fire Brigade was established in 1948. It was the second largest (after London) in the country and was the largest joint fire and ambulance service. A great emphasis was placed on thorough training and a residential training school was established at Finchley with accommodation for 50 students. On the abolition of the Middlesex County Council in 1965 this brigade became part of the London Fire Brigade.
© Museum of London