An old Routemaster bus outside St. Pauls Cathedral; 2010
© Museum of London
Full image caption
An old Routemaster bus outside St. Pauls Cathedral. The Routemaster double-decker bus was built by Associated Equipment Company in 1954 (in production from 1958) and produced until 1968. They were front-engined, rear open platform buses. The open platform, while exposed to the elements, allowed boarding and alighting away from stops. Introduced by London Transport in 1956, the Routemaster saw continuous service in London until 2005. The traditional red Routemaster has become one of the famous features of London and currently remains on two heritage routes in central London.
2009 AD - 2009 AD