Passmore Edwards Library; 2009
3 0 c m
actual image size: 32cm x 21cm

Passmore Edwards Library; 2009

Torla Evans

© Museum of London

Full image caption

The Passmore Edwards Library was designed by the architect Maurice B. Adams. The foundation stone was laid by the donor J. Passmore Edwards on 4th July 1895. It is a reed brick building in Free Classical style with asymmetrical bays under a symmetrical gabled roofline with slate hipped roof and dormer windows.
John Passmore Edwards was a Victorian journalist, newspaper owner and philanthropist.
He became the editor of a leading London newspaper The Echo which he had bought in 1876. His publishing ventures had been failures for a time, but his 1862 purchase of Building News lead to profitability, this was followed by Mechanics Magazine and a share in the daily Echo. He eventually sold two thirds of his share in The Echo to Andrew Carnegie to follow a political and social agenda.




2009 AD - 2009 AD

Image Number


buy a print

Select print type
Select size
How many prints?

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas